Product Dimensions: 8”x10” photo in 11”x14” matte
Author/Artist: Center for Southern Folklore Archives

Stax Records was originally founded as Satellite Records in 1957 by Jim Stewart and his sister Estelle Axton. In 1958 they merged their names (Stax) and moved into the former Capitol Movie Theatre at 926 East McLemore Avenue in Memphis. After initially issuing country music records, the company switched to more lucrative rhythm and blues music. By the mid 1960s, Stax had become a significant label, regularly scoring hits with artists such as Otis Redding, Sam and Dave, Carla and Rufus Thomas, William Bell, Booker T. & the MG's, Isaac Hayes and The Bar-Kays. This photograph of the Stax marquee was taken in 1978 following the business’ closure in 1977 following bankruptcy. Despite community efforts to save Stax Records the building was torn down in 1989. It was rebuilt and opened in 2003 as the Stax Museum of American Soul Museum.

Stax Studio in 1978

$25.00Price